4.30.2010

34 and out of the closet

Wednesday was Nate's 34th birthday, a day I have waited for now close to 8 years. Because that's the age I was when we first met. Back when he first started referring to me as old.

All these years I waited for his own 34th, so I could prove that see? 34 isn't old at all!

And when I did, his response was so farking Nate:

Yes it is. I'm old.  And so are you. Grandma.

Gah. 

In my jet lagged haze, I managed to hand him his gift somehow--an iPod engraved with the line, Don't lose this one. Enough said.

But I thought a nicer gift would be to introduce you to his blog.

Yes, Nate has a blog. And you will probably like it. If you like food and/or funny things. If not, eh. You won't like it.

Of course I introduce it at the risk of making you realize that I'm not even close to the funny one in the family; something Nate is happy to remind me nearly daily.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present The Leftover Foodie.

Don't miss the post about the incredible meal he made me for his culinary school final project, featuring a cameo by yours truly making, uh...well, not a culinary school meal. Also, he's got fabulous pictures of Spain and especially the food market, from our trip this past fall. (Thanks Voyage.TV! Loved getting the tax bill this month!) And because what doting dad can resist writing a food blog that doesn't include his children, behold his attempt to whore our children out to Steve Jobs for an iPad.


You only think I'm joking.

Now, Nate still has no idea how to do an about page or a blogroll and I don't know if he's ever linked to anything once. But if you have any interest in leaving a comment there anyway, despite his scowls and eye-rolling and self-deprecating BS, I think you just might make his week.


18 Comments:

Anonymous Stacia said...

He probably figured he could only get away with a comment like that because you were jet-lagged. Now that you're rested, go get him!

4/30/10, 8:54 AM  
Blogger Mahlers On Safari said...

Well a big happy birthday to Nate. And congrats to you - that he is now 34!

4/30/10, 9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love N*'s blog and he has linked to things!

4/30/10, 9:52 AM  
Blogger One Photo said...

34?!?! Oh so young - try being 46 with a three year old to run around after! Tell Nate he is still young!

4/30/10, 9:56 AM  
Blogger Alex@LateEnough said...

My nickname in medical school was grandma because I was two years older than anyone else in my study group... I was TWENTY-FOUR

4/30/10, 10:28 AM  
Blogger TexasBobbi said...

Headed over there now.

4/30/10, 10:50 AM  
Anonymous Nate said...

What? No write up on cool mom picks? Jeeze... Also I never called you "grandma". I just simply reminded you that while I am old now, you're that much older...

4/30/10, 12:25 PM  
Blogger Scary Mommy said...

I am so envious of women whose husbands can cook. I'm lucky if mine can make the kids a sandwich. It's pathetic.

4/30/10, 12:48 PM  
Anonymous Kami said...

Liz, this is such a sweet post. It's so clear how much you love him. (In the iPod inscription alone!) I just really like how you talk about your family in this space. It makes me wanna be nicer to mine!

4/30/10, 1:23 PM  
Blogger scooping it up said...

Dude, I saw that pic of you with the Ramen. 1) I can't believe he allows that in the house. 2) That you were actually eating it while he was preparing that amazing feast. 3) You look about 30 in that picture. I swear. You're totally hot.

:)

4/30/10, 4:28 PM  
Anonymous Julie @ The Mom Slant said...

I'm still grumbling about the fact that he never even fixed me a glass of water while I was at your place. I bet even a glass of water would taste better prepared by a trained chef.

Happy birthday, Nate. You've got a great sense of humor, two adorable daughters and one amazing partner.

4/30/10, 5:04 PM  
Blogger Amy Jo said...

I put it in my google reader before I read even a single word. Happy Birthday Nate!

4/30/10, 7:18 PM  
Anonymous Pam said...

I'm older than my husband too and the worst was when he was turning 30 and feeling OH SO OLD NOW after I had "been there, done that" years before. And we go to the Apple store all the time so the hubbie can "play." My kids love those white apple stickers. My son had one now on the side of his dresser. Little Steve Jobs in training :)

5/1/10, 2:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Nate! Goin' to check out his blog now. Just wait, the girls will be blogging soon too! ;)

5/1/10, 3:39 PM  
Blogger the mama bird diaries said...

Happy Birthday to Nate. 34 is so young!

5/2/10, 7:26 PM  
Anonymous Shauna said...

I was 35 when I met my guy --he was 26. I can't WAIT until he turns 35.. actually, it'll be nice when we're both in the same decade.. though sadly, it will only last a year.

Oh, and he occsionally calls me grandma too. Then takes cover before the flying projectile hits him in the side of the head.

5/3/10, 6:11 AM  
Anonymous jennifer@customtoyportrait.com said...

My husband is 8 yrs younger, and I relish that brief period each decade when we are both in our 20's, 30's, whatever, at the same time!

5/3/10, 5:45 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth @claritychaos said...

FYI - my 40 year old sister (and mother of 3) is dating (very seriously) a 25!!!! year old man! (I had to hesitate before typing man instead of boy.) I say, way to go! ;)

Off to check off Nate's blog! I love funny. :)

-elizabeth

5/4/10, 12:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home